Sunday 3 October 2010

Les Miserables

Today was a day filled with music. A day filled with beautiful songs that made my heart skip a beat. I went to the Queen's Theatre London to see Les Miserables. It was... breathtaking. The story is a sad one and you can't help yourself from wishing it will end well, somehow. And the songs just touch your soul. One especially, almost made me cry. "On My Own" is sung by Eponine, who is deeply in love with Marius even if he does not know it. The best performance of this piece is by Frances Ruffelle from the original London cast. Another moving song is "I Dreamed A Dream". Patti Lupone of the original London cast sings it as part of her character Fantine.

It really is an amazing experience.

The musical produced by Cameron Mackintosh is based on the 1862 French novel by author Victor Hugo which is widely considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century. It follows the lives of several French characters over a twenty-year period in the early 19th century, starting in 1815 and culminating in the 1832 June Rebellion. The focus is on Jean Valjean, an ex-convict, and of his struggles. It brings to light a number of issues, such as the nature of law, politics, moral philosophy, justice and the nature of love.

Last but not least I'd like to thanks James for suggesting we go and see it. So, thank you!

On My Own




I Dreamed A Dream

2 comments:

  1. On my own is one of my favorite songs of all time. My friend Charlotte performed it for her GCSE music in our class and I remember it to this day as one of the most moving performances I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete